Sunday, October 5, 2008

My Regrets...

I really try to live with NO regrets. It is just one of those things that can really make you miserable. But, there is one thing that I just can't get over. I don't have great newborn shots of my kids. Maybe this is why I love taking pictures for friends when they have their babies. I love giving them what I don't have. Sure, I have the Kiddie Kandids shots. Not bad, but definitely not the kind of pictures I will look at, drool over, and remember the sweet moments I had with the tiny new life I created with my better half. I just wish I would have invested the money, time and passion I have for photography before I had kids. I just tell myself that I am capturing things NOW, and that is the most important thing.

Tips for newborn shots: Find someone that is willing to be patient with your new baby. When I take pictures for newborns, I have NO time frame. I let the mom feed, change, love, and take care of all the baby's needs. I also like to go into the home. Keeping the baby in his/her natural element makes all the difference. When I took my oldest in for his newborn session, the wait time was 50 minutes. We waited, waited and waited some more. By the time my son was up, it had been an hour and a half. He was tired, hungry and ready to go home. The girl taking the pictures was so overwhelmed and exhausted that she really had no business taking any pictures. My baby was crying and the photographer, (I use that term loosely here) was at her wits end. She said...(and I am totally serious!) "Well, if your baby won't stop crying, then you will just have to have pictures like that." So, my oldest son's newborn pictures are awful. What was I thinking? Don't be afraid to tell your photographer what you want. I love it when people have ideas and they share them with me. I was always afraid to tell the photographer what I wanted. I felt like it was over-stepping my bounds, even though I was paying them. Include siblings. I know that for me, shots like this one are exactly what I am looking for. It may seem too overwhelming including all the kids for a newborn session, but it is so worth it. Get Dad involved too. There is nothing sweeter for me than seeing a daddy with his newborn. My kids always looked extra tiny in their dad's arms. And, of course, don't forget mom. Most moms don't want to be photographed after just giving birth. I think this is by far my biggest regret. I don't have any pictures of myself with any of my babies. It is a moment that I can never have again. As a photographer, encourage the mom to participate. Give her ideas that produce flattering pictures. As a mom, remember how important this moment is and jump in those shots.

If you are just learning photography, newborn shots are a great way to practice your photography skills. Newborns don't move too much. They sleep...A LOT! Their skin is perfect and let's face it...every picture makes mommy smile. Obviously, from my story above, I wasn't too hard to please. So, next time your friend is having a baby, don't give her footed pajamas for her baby, give her a newborn session. She will LOVE it and will cherish it always!

4 comments:

Anna B said...

Okay I just went through your entire blog and I Love Love Love it. The only problem is now I want to have pictures of my kids done even more. What do I do?? Thanks for sharing your incredible talent.

Kath said...

Those pictures are AMAZING!!! Seriously. You have some serious talent...in pretty much everything you do. They are really, really gorgeous pictures! I need to pay you the big bucks to do pics of my kids!

Anna D. said...

Those are beautiful!! You are so talented. I wish I had such beautiful pictures....

Anonymous said...

I love these beautiful newborns; they are priceless. Your name says it all..