Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day Reflections...

I had the opportunity to spend Memorial Day in Arlington Cemetery 4 years ago. It was an experience I will never forget. Seeing the thousands of flags all lined up in perfect rows honoring our Nation's fallen heroes was something I will always have etched in my mind. I was just starting my journey into photography, (plus I had a 3 month old strapped to my chest in a Bjorn) so I don't have images of that day. I hope I will be able to return there soon so I can capture the moment and feelings I had. At the time, I didn't have any close relations to people that have served in any wars...so I never really understood the sacrifices that had been made for this Nation. That Memorial day 4 years ago is the moment I finally realized what sacrifices have been made for me. I am so thankful that so many are willing to sacrifice their own lives to protect mine. 
(My son as Paul Revere for his 5th grade wax museum project)

I now have someone very close to me that will be sending their son off to war. My heart is so heavy with worry but also pride. I am so proud of this kid. He is ready to serve his country. He is willing to leave his family and friends to protect this great nation. Today is about honoring the fallen soldiers...but to me it is also about honoring the ones that are here with us now as well. Honoring the men and women who sacrifice everything all in the name of Freedom. 
Please say a prayer for my dear friend and her son. Please say a prayer for all of our great heroes fighting and protecting this country. 
Happy Memorial Day! Hope you are spending it with the ones you love. 

1 comment:

Becky said...

You continue to move me with your kind words. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. I couldn't ask for a better friend