Thursday, February 25, 2010

Back up, Back up!

Since there hasn't been a lot of camera shooting around here (still yucky weather and even yuckier lighting) I decided to take the time and give my computer a VERY much needed diet. (We've all gained a few around here)...It has been running slower and slower and I have gotten to the point where I can't even edit or anything because it takes forever! This has also been the reason for the lack of blog posts lately, the lack of me getting people their precious images and let's be honest here...the lack of any motivation for anything! Wait...am  I talking about the heavy weights on my computer or myself? Anyway...Shooting in RAW takes up WAY too much space on my hard drive and I am telling you it is bursting at the seams. So...I took some major steps this week to fix these problems....
1. I finally backed up my entire computer on the external hard drive that my husband bought for me around Christmas time. :)
2. I decided to go with Carbonite for my second source of backup. It was between Carbonite and Mozy. I consulted my neighbor about the best option and he claimed they are both pretty comparative. Carbonite seemed to fit my needs the best so I am trying the 14 day free trial period and I am certain I will purchase as soon as the backup is complete. In my opinion...$54.95/year is pretty stinkin' cheap to make sure my entire life of pictures is safe and secure. If anything happens to my computer they have everything securely waiting for me.

 It will take a few days for that to be complete and then I plan to shed all those RAW files off my main computer hard drive. Hoping that will fix the problem and fix this slow running mess of a computer.

I have just been ignoring my gut feelings for months telling me to back up all my files. I can't imagine how awful I would have felt if I would have lost everything!

It is taking quite a bit of time cleaning everything up...but I feel so relieved that it is almost done!
And, because no post is complete without a picture...here is a cutie that has the most patient mother on the planet...can't wait to finally get her these pictures! Did I mention how impossible it has been to download pictures to a disk?

Spring cleanup is so nice...now I just wish Spring would follow my lead so I can start filling up my computer again :)

5 comments:

Roxy said...

The baby picture is so sweet. Boy, does it bring back memories of when my kids were tiny. Thank goodness for photographs, right? You are awesome, Katie.

jenn said...

Baby A is just about the cutest thing ever. Can't wait to see the rest of the images. Especially the ones with his Mommy...I'm sure they will be just beautiful.

I know you've been worrying about this. I bet you feel relieved to have it out of the way!

Call me. :)

Coley said...

I learned the hard way about backing up and lost sooooo many pictures that can't be replaced.

megan v said...

I had a scare and thought that my external drive had broken. I had just put 2 years worth of images onto it and took them off of my comptuer. I really feel like I need a backup of the backup!!!! What is Carbonite?

Kati said...

Hi Megan...Carbonite is an online company that will backup your entire hard drive for you. There are a couple of different options to choose from. You can click on the link in this post and it will take you to their website. I highly recommend backing up your backup!
Good luck! Let me know if you have any more questions :)