Saturday, November 6, 2010

Family pictures is a "bad word"...

Ask any mother and she will tell you that one of the things she dreads and looks most forward to is family pictures. We all have this vision of how we want our family to be portrayed. Perfectly coordinating, all smiling, fresh haircuts, impeccably combed and  styled. The list in our heads goes on and on. We want that one moment to be captured so we can always look back on it and remember how we "pictured" our ideal vision of our family. Every time I do a family shoot for someone, the poor mother is a complete and total mess. Causing the rest of the family to be on edge. Usually the husband and wife are fighting upon the arrival of the scheduled location. Kids crying, bribes being tossed around like the end of the world will arrive at any moment if they don't cooperate and smile! You would think after witnessing this time after time, I would know how make things calm and have the ability to yield perfect results for my own family
So. Not. The. Case. 

Nothing ended up being perfect. I had a complete melt down over my oldest son's white shoes. And that cat! That dang cat wanted to be a part of our family so badly! Doesn't he know that we are as far from animal lovers as they come? It looks like he totally knocked out that part of the fence to be in this picture...he probably did! Seriously! He was relentless. Running back and forth after pushing the self timer button gave me no indication the cat was even there. 

I just hope that as a photographer I am able to give mother's what they all want so badly. I found myself doing all the things today that I secretly dislike about the mom at a family photo shoot. Getting snappy with the husband. Telling the kids to just give a "natural smile" for crying out loud! Being extremely self critical of my body, hair, and wrinkles that seem to appear more and more every single day....

But at the end of this day...I have images. Images of my perfectly imperfect family. White shoes, fake smiles, and even a slight liking for that damn cat. 

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I realize it has been forever since I have seen you but your hair is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Love it long and brown :)

Oh and your family is looking good too :)

Janae said...

So true. You should have asked me, I would have come taken them for you.

Amy said...

Oh I'm laughing. just laughing! I love the cat in the picture. How hilarious is that?!!!
I think the fam picture is beautiful.

~Jason and Heidi~ said...

You look absolutely GORGEOUS!!!! The family all looks great. I LOVE the cat in the photo. It's like a where is Waldo. He almost completes it. Can't get over how beautiful you look. Sheesh. Nothing to criticize in that one.

Petersen Kids said...

I have been laughing about that cat all day! It totally looks like he is trying to be in the picture:) What a cute family though!!

Kellie said...

ROFL!!! That is the mostawesomest family photo EVER! LOVE the cat :)

happy said...

Is it funny that we get so crazy. You will look back and think why!!! Your family is so beautiful You couldn't ask for anything more. I really do love the cat. Your great keep up the great work. I was maybe thinking about getting my family picture done. I doomt know if I can I don't like that day so much. But how much do you charge? Love ya have a good night sleep for me.

Top Rated Cameras said...

The picture looks cute! Specially the caption for the cat and shoes! :)

Irene Kinghorn said...

I think the cat ads character! The little guy makes the picture look even more rustic than it already is!